I wanted to write a story about sleep. I have changed my mind. Why?
Simply because I refused to fall into the trap of researching sleep masks which can cost anything from $29 to $179.
I promised myself I would not bore readers with the effects of poor sleep — we all know them so that’s done and dealt with.
Then there are all those articles about the sleep gap. Yes, you have guessed it. If you are rich like Arianna Huffington, you can sleep for eight hours a night. Few people know she has her “A- Team” of 10 working behind the scenes and they are pretty exhausted. I am not impressed.
Then if you are poor like me, you are less likely to get enough sleep. Actually, I do get a good night’s sleep but I am not going to bore you with all that.
I clicked from one piece of research to another article on sleep (63 million results on Google!) and began to yawn. How on earth could I stay awake to write about sleep?
The solution was that I wouldn’t! I had a better idea. I would find and list my 10 favorite quotes on sleep and that will have to do. I already feel much better.
These quotes speak for themselves so any comments from me would be superfluous. But if you want to let us know in the responses your sleep secrets, feel free!
1. “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” ― Ernest Hemingway
2. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” ― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own
3. “Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
4. “I find out a lot about myself by sleeping. Dreams, they are who I am when I’m too tired to be me.”
― Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not for Sale
5. “Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”― Mahatma Gandhi
6. “To die, to sleep —
To sleep, perchance to dream — ay, there’s the rub,
For in this sleep of death what dreams may come…”
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
7. “The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4 am knows all my secrets.” ― Poppy Z. Brite
8. “I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” ― David Benioff, City of Thieves
9. “Sometimes I’m afraid to go to sleep because of what I’m leaving behind.” ― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
10. “Sleep is my lover now, my forgetting, my opiate, my oblivion.”― Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler’s Wife
If you cannot get to sleep and suffer from insomnia, follow Gillian Flynn’s advice
“Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.”
― Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl